The Thrive Programme FAQs
The Thrive Programme at a glance
- A seven-session, easy to follow training programme that equips you with all the insights, skills and resources you need in order to overcome vaginismus and Thrive in your life.
- Unique and revolutionary – it is completely different to any other intervention available, including cognitive behavioural therapy, counselling, psycho-sexual therapy, psychotherapy or hypnotherapy.
- One-to-one weekly sessions provide you with amazing personal insight, allowing you to totally change any limiting belief systems that are adversely affecting your life. You will discover what styles of thinking are causing you problems, such as overthinking, perfectionism and avoidance of situations where you feel out of control. Understand why you anticipate worst case scenarios. You will learn what a huge part your imagination plays in both causing and resolving vaginismus.
How long is the programme?
The programme consists of six sessions, with an additional follow-up session, usually a couple of weeks later.
What are the benefits of working with me, rather than independently through the Workbook?
For any woman who is highly motivated to overcome vaginismus and is willing to commit to putting in a good amount of effort to work through the programme, the Workbook may be all you need to succeed. However, the advantages of working through the programme with me as your personal Thrive Consultant, coaching you through the programme are as follows:
- I can support and motivate you. I'll help to keep you motivated and you'll have the confidence of knowing you have my support throughout the programme.
- Human engagement. My job is to teach, coach and guide you through the programme. My clients enjoy the interaction during our sessions because as well as being educational, sessions can be fun too and there are often laughs along the way.
- I can pace your progress, tailoring the programme to suit your own particular needs. I also help you pace your progression with physical/penetration exercises.
- I can bring the book to life. Working together, we'll get to know eachother. The insight I get into your life means that I can help you apply the concepts from the programme to your own experiences, making it much more relatable.
- You can share your successes with me! The journey to overcoming vaginismus on your own can be a solitary one - especially if you are single or don't have a supportive partner. My clients are often as excited about sharing their achievements with me as I am hearing about them - it's the best part of my job.
- I can answer any question you might have. I have been helping women to overcome vaginismus for nearly 20 years now so you won't have a question that I can't answer.
- I can steer you in the right direction if you go off-track. There will be challenges for every woman who goes through the programme, and in fact, we grow more from being challenged than from when life runs smoothly. However, with my help they should seem like molehills rather than mountains!
A past client of mine, Jess, offered the following words when asked what she found were the benefits of working with me:
"Cara is extremely perceptive in her way of working. She noticed things about me (both physically and emotionally) that helped further my understanding of myself immensely. She was far from just a trained consultant who read off a script following the outline of the book. She brought extra to the sessions that proved very helpful.
Cara is a helpful mix of firm but kind. She brought a “human explanation” to some aspects of the book. I was able to be honest when I truly wasn’t quite understanding something first time round. I have always been a deep thinker and can overcomplicate things sometimes (!!) but Cara was able to answer all my questions and keep me on the right path of understanding.
Cara also brought a healthy dollop of honesty to the programme which helped it feel less about a professional teaching a client. Instead, it was one genuine knowledgeable woman passing on information to another. The fact our sense of humour is cut from the same cloth kept the sessions fun and has given me some extra personal coping mechanisms that I shall never forget."
Who is suitable for The Thrive Programme?
It doesn’t matter if you’ve suffered with vaginismus for 50 years or 5 months, anybody who is capable of understanding and applying the programme can cure vaginismus.
What is the effort I need to put in?
Alongside our sessions you will be required to read the Thrive Programme workbook – a fascinating and interactive book where you discover all about YOU. There are also support videos to watch to help you on your journey. Ensure you apply your knowledge from our sessions and the book to your everyday life as much as possible.
Throughout the programme you will be given specific exercises/tasks to complete in between sessions. These will be tailored to apply to your own personal experience and degree of vaginismus. This is a very 'doing' programme where you get out of it exactly what you put into it. Put in a good amount of effort each week to apply what you are learning and you can overcome vaginismus and thrive in just six weeks.
It sounds too good to be true! Will it really cure my vaginismus?
The results from The Thrive Programme directly reflect the effort you put into the process. Ultimately, YOU are the only person who can change you. My job is to teach you everything you need to know about overcoming vaginismus and thriving. Your responsibility is to apply what you learn in between sessions. Anyone who applies the programme correctly WILL always hugely benefit from it and overcome vaginismus. Thrive will not work for people who are looking for a magical quick fix or for someone else to cure them.
How is Thrive Programme different to Psychosexual Therapy or Cognitive Behavioural Therapy?
Unlike Psychosexual Therapy or CBT, Thrive doesn’t just focus upon giving you some isolated insights, tools and techniques to cope with or reduce your anxiety. These approaches are ‘fire-fighting’ – trying to control or reduce the anxiety AFTER we have created it by our thinking. Often people tire quickly of having to maintain this level of effort of fending of negative thoughts.
Likewise, the value of dilators is often limited because they only tackle vaginismus on a purely physical level. Unless their use is accompanied by helpful cognitive processes, their success is often limited.
The Thrive Programme gives you the unique insight to understand the component parts of your thinking and beliefs that are causing the vaginismus – rather than just trying to combat the end result of muscular clenching. The Programme will teach you how to create strong psychological foundations, and overcoming vaginsimus is just a part of that.
How is The Thrive Programme different to counselling?
Counselling can be beneficial by allowing a client to off-load or talk through a problem. This is particularly useful if that person is unable to talk to friends or family. However, the disadvantage of counselling can be that you may find yourself going over old ground, dredging up past hurts and negative experiences but with no resolution or change of perspective.
This can be particularly the case with counselling that is focussed on our childhoods. A recent client of mine had been told by her counsellor that her vaginismus was caused by the emotional response to her father dying when she was ten years old. This isn’t just disempowering….it’s just plain not true!
Very often, when we feel unhappy with ourselves or our lives in the here and now but feel powerless to make changes, we look back to their past in the hope of resolving our current problems. However, just by being able to trace back in time to when a problem or anxiety first occurred, doesn’t necessarily mean that you feel empowered to overcome problems or change your life now.
With Thrive, the focus is upon your beliefs and thoughts TODAY, regardless of how they may have been created in the past. Which is great because we can’t change the past! With vaginismus specifically, Thrive focuses on your current unhelpful thoughts and beliefs about penetration that are creating the anxiety and tension NOW.
Free Initial Consultation
It is perfectly natural that you may have questions about The Thrive Programme. To arrange a free consultation or to book an appointment call 07740 781 573
If I’m with a client, you can leave a confidential message on my answerphone and I will return your call as soon as possible. Alternatively, you can email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org